- Hromalik, C. D., Myhill, W. N., & Carr, N. R. (2020). “ALL faculty should take this”: A Universal Design for Learning training for community college faculty. TechTrends, 64(1), 91–104. doi:10.1007/s11528-019-00439-6
- Hromalik, C. D. (2020). SIG Spotlight: ACTFL Distance Learning (DL) SIG. The Language Educator, 15(2), 26–27.
- Pavlov, Y. (2020). Review of the book Lingua Latīna per sē illūstrāta. Pars I: Familia Rōmāna, by H. Ørberg. Studia Philologica, 9, 242–245. [in Russian, electronic copy].
- Wilhelm-Chapin, M. K., & Koszalka, T. A. (2020). Graduate students’ use and perceived value of learning resources in learning the content in an online course. TechTrends, 1–12. doi:10.1007/s11528-019-00464-5
- Zhang, L., Cheng, J., Lei, J., & Wang, Q. (in print). How the anonymous feature of audience response system influences the interactions of students by different types of questions. Journal of Educational Technology Development and Exchange (JETDE).
- Koszalka, T. A., Wilhelm-Chapin, M. K., Hromalik, C. D., Pavlov, Y., & Zhang, L. (2019). Prompting deep learning with interactive technologies: Theoretical perspectives in designing interactive learning resources and environments. In P. Díaz, A. Ioannou, K. K. Bhagat, & J. M. Spector (Eds.), Learning in a digital world: Perspective on interactive technologies for formal and informal education (pp. 13–36). Singapore: Springer. doi:10.1007/978-981-13-8265-9_2
- Hur, J. W., Shen, Y. W., & Cho, M.-H. (2020). Impact of intercultural online collaboration project for pre-service teachers. Technology, Pedagogy and Education, 29(1), 1–17. doi:10.1080/1475939X.2020.1716841
- Li, Y., Wang, Q., & Lei, J. (2019). Modeling Chinese teachers’ attitudes toward using technology for teaching with a SEM approach. Computers in the Schools, 36(2), 122–141. doi:10.1080/07380569.2019.1600979
- Doctoral candidate Di Sun (China) received the 2020 Research and Creative Grant Award from the SOE Dean’s Office ($900). The working title of the grant proposal was “Analyzing the Evolution of Students’ Action Patterns in MPOCs”. The SOE purpose for this grant is to support research projects of graduate students. Also, she was awarded the 2020 Summer Dissertation Fellowship by the SU Graduate School ($4,000). The purpose of the fellowship is to help candidates support themselves without the need to work extra hours and focus completely on their dissertations.
- Recent doctoral graduate Christopher Hromalik (United States, Ph.D. IDD&E ’20) received a SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities in May 2020.
- Dr. Tiffany A. Koszalka received the 2020 Excellence in Graduate Education Faculty Recognition Award.
- Hromalik, C. (2020, March). Choosing the right tool for the task: Revitalizing your instruction with digital technology. Invited presentation for the John Wiley & Sons, Inc. World Languages Digital Technology Summit, Hoboken, NJ.
- Murphy-Judy, K., Russell, V., Quinlan, J., Suvorov, R., & Hromalik, C. (2020, May). Fundamentals of online language teaching. Half-day workshop presented online for the Computer-Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO) Annual Conference.
- Dr. Tiffany A. Koszalka was appointed to the Syracuse University Graduate School Council as the SOE representative for a period of 3 years from 2020 to 2022. The responsibilities in this position include advising Dean of the Graduate School on issues related to graduate education.
- Dr. Tiffany A. Koszalka was approved to be the Syracuse University/SOE IRB representative for a period of 3 years from 2020 to 2022. She will be part of the university-wide board committee to review all IRB proposals for all research conducted on SU campus.
- Recent doctoral graduate Christopher Hromalik (United States, Ph.D. IDD&E ’20) was awarded a change in rank from Associate Professor to Professor at Onondaga Community College, effective Fall 2020.
Master’s student David Patent appeared in the SU news and shared his observations of successful remote teaching:
- Jevis, E. (2020, May 01). COVID-19 impacts American experience for international students. Syracuse University News. [Link, word count: 1000]
Dr. Tiffany A. Koszalka gave an interview to NewsChannel 9, a local Syracuse television station, for their story on distance learning in the times of social distancing. Dr. Koszalka suggested developing a good schedule and securing a space dedicated exclusively for studying:
- WSYR-TV. (2020, March 20). How to handle life at home during social distancing. LocalSYR.com [Link, video length: 4 minutes]
Dr. Tiffany A. Koszalka received the 2020 Excellence in Graduate Education Faculty Recognition Award:
- SU News Staff. (2020, April 22). Twelve professors named recipients of Excellence in Graduate Education Faculty Recognition Award. Syracuse University News. [Link, word count: 900]
Dr. Jing Lei contributed to the story by NewsChannel 9, a local Syracuse television station, about a donation of about 45,000 pieces of personal protective equipment (PPE) to local hospitals, post offices, nursing homes, etc., by the Syracuse Chinese Community (SCC) for which Dr. Lei volunteers. The SCC raised more than $40,000 to help fight the coronavirus in the community:
- WSYR-TV. (2020, May 07). Syracuse Chinese Community donates thousands of PPE to local hospitals. LocalSYR.com [Link, video length: 2 minutes]